Sysadmin Sunday #11
Written by David Mytton
This is Sysadmin Sunday, a post of interesting links from throughout the previous week.
- Using Puppet to Automatically Configure New EC2 Instances – a quick tutorial for getting started
- Building blocks of a scalable webcrawler – this thesis documents experiences trying to handle over 100 million sets of data while keeping them searchable. All of that happens while collecting and analyzing about 100 new domains per second. It covers topics from the different Ruby VMs (JRuby, Rubinius, YARV, MRI) to different storage-backend (Riak, Cassandra, MongoDB, Redis, CouchDB, Tokyo Cabinet, MySQL, Postgres, …) and the data-structures that they use in the background.
- Vagrant – a tool for building and distributing virtualized development environments.
- Just Make It Faster – As a user, how often have you thought “I wish this web service was faster.” As a CEO, how often have you said “just make it faster.” Or, more simply, “why is this damn thing so slow?”
- Using Flat Files So Elections Don’t Break Your Server
- SUSE Studio – Build an appliance — or your own custom Linux distro — with a few mouse clicks.