Server Density v2 – cloud management, group alerts, new UI and more
CEO & Founder of Server Density.
Published on the 19th June, 2013.
Today we’re announcing the official launch of Server Density v2, which takes the existing server and website monitoring functionality used by customers such as Intel, EA and DuckDuckGo, and adds cloud management to the mix.
A long time in development, this release introduces many new features and improvements as requested by our customers, and sets the foundations for quick iteration of new functionality.
- New UI – built using Backbone, Coffeescript, Node.JS and Websockets, it’s now easier to manage large numbers of servers, perform mass actions, search and filter.
- Cloud management – automatically sync with your Amazon EC2 and Rackspace Cloud accounts to show a real time view of all your instances, start, stop, restart and launch new instances and configure monitoring.
- Improved alerting – group level alerts, web hooks, support for multiple PagerDuty services and different notification preferences per recipient.
- Improved deployment – use our official Puppet and Chef modules to automatically provision the monitoring agent and start monitoring immediately. Servers can be added into a group to automatically inherit the group level alerts.
- Improved website monitoring – new check methodology checks your URLs from every monitoring node simultaneously to give an accurate representation of status and response time around the world. Choose exactly which nodes you wish to monitor from and get a world map view.
What’s coming up?
Each month we’ll be posting a “what’s new” roundup on the blog so you can see what’s been happening. In the next few months you can expect:
- Full API – everything you can do via the web UI can be done through the API, either directly through the HTTP REST interface or with our official client libraries for major languages.
- Improved graphing – in the existing v1 product, we recently improved the performance and accuracy of our graphs to store 1 minute data points for 10 days and hourly data points forever. Next we’ll be adding annotations, zooming, exporting and embedding.
- New service monitoring locations and providers in the US, Europe and Asia.
All customers can manage unlimited numbers of cloud servers within their package. Pricing is based on packages depending on the number of servers and websites you wish to monitor. This means you can sync all of your cloud servers and only pay for the package to cover the ones you want to monitor.
Our pricing remains the same with the addition of a personal plan at $10/m for monitoring 1 server and 1 website.
How do I get it?
New customers can sign up right away on our website for the 15 day free trial.
Existing customers will be given the option to migrate at the end of this month. Both systems can run simultaneously so you can play and set up v2 without affecting production monitoring through your existing v1 setup. No changes to the monitoring agent or plugins are required.
Some functionality in v1 is not yet available in v2, such as the global dashboard and our mobile apps. These are coming and once feature parity has been reached, and of course with a long sunset window, SD v1 will be shut down and all existing customers migrated to v2.
Feel free to comment here or e-mail us any questions. We’re looking forward to hearing what you think!